I’m an advisor to a fitness and lifestyle start up company that is looking to hire a full time Marketing Manger. The team includes a multiple Grammy Award winner and some of the most decorated fitness professionals in the industry. The company was a massive success in Spain and is now launching in North America.
I’ve included a boring (but accurate) job description below. However, since I’m involved in the selection process, and I know a thing or two about marketing, I’m going to be looking for a quirky-cool, hipster on the way up, who can do (a lot) more than market research and ad buys. You can tell stories – stories that connect with the people you serve. Pencil pushing, buttoned up marketer types need not apply.
Bottom line: If I get you this job, is the CEO going to come back to me in a year and say, “[insert your name here] was the best hire I’ve ever made.”? Anything less, would be complete and utter failure.
To apply: send anything you want to this email address. Sure, CV and cover letter makes sense. But, you’re a marketer. You know how to make people want you. So, make me want you in your own special quirky-cool way. But required in your application is a list of the 10 books that have most influenced how you think about marketing and business development.
DO NOT, under any circumstances, send applications or requests to me personally or my help desk. This opportunity is not a Michael Port Companies opportunity. It’s for a company that I advise. If you have any questions, please ask in the comments below.
Think big about who you are and what you offer and go for it!
OK, here is the boring, but detailed general purpose job description below.
Develop, establish and maintain marketing strategies to meet organizational objectives. Provide effective management of the marketing, advertising and promotional activities of the organization.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Manage and coordinate all marketing, advertising and promotional activities.
- Conduct market research to determine market requirements for existing and future products.
- Analysis of customer research, current market conditions and competitor information.
- Develop and implement marketing plans and projects for new and existing products.
- Monitor, review and report on all marketing activity and results based on tracking metrics.
- Determine and manage the marketing budget.
- Develop pricing strategy
- Liaison with creative and education team on media and publicity.
- Develop and execute press campaign in major media markets.
- Develop, execute all social media campaigns as well as day-to-day social media platforms.
Education and Experience
- Where you went to school, or what you studied in school, is not relevant – what’s relevant is whether you can get the job done.
- Experience in all aspects of developing and maintaining marketing strategies.
- Technical marketing skills.
- Proven experience in customer and market research.
- Relevant product and industry knowledge helpful but not required.
- Experience with relevant software applications (CRM, e-commerce, lead capture and follow up, etc).
- You can rock the written word.
- You speak and people listen.
- You’re an organizer and planner.
- You think critically and can problem solve.
- You see yourself as a leader.
- You’re self-starter.
- You enjoy breaking rules (seriously).
- You get pumped up for a presentation.
- You’re adaptable and flexible.
- You’re innovative and creative.
- You’re a learner
- You love working with others.
- You do not bring drama to work.
- Southern Cali is ideal but not necessary. Anywhere in US is fine.
- Min 50K. More is possible based on experience. Bonuses will be offered as company grows.