People often ask me what I would do if I were starting business today. My answer has always been, “Follow the steps I outlined in Book Yourself Solid.” Cheeky, I know. The follow up question usually goes something like this, “Yes, I know, Michael, but can you condense the 90,000 words into, like, a couple of things?” Well, here’s goes, nothing…
If I was dropped by helicopter into a town where I knew no one, and no one knew me I would develop and market my offering by:
- Deciding who I will serve (target market).
- Getting crystal clear on the big result I will provide.
- Developing a process that will produce that big result for that market.
- Creating a brand and packaging, for that process (and me).
- Building a simple website that told the story of my offering and started a conversation with potential clients.
- Identifying the 20 most influential people in that market and begin building relationships with them.
- Choosing, either the speaking or writing strategy, to super-charge my marketing (for me it would be speaking), and finding the meeting planners or organizers, who could put me in front of my target audience, and begin reaching out to them
Within 6-months, I’d be booked solid. And, so can you.
That’s a total of 7 things you can do to start your business today. It doesn’t mean you can get out of reading the book, though.