Please read completely before responding. But, let me say, right off the bat, thank you in advance for considering this position.
I’m looking for an assistant to join my team – you can live anywhere but I may give preference to those on the east coast as I’m an early riser and by 9am Pacific much of my day is done.
This is a part time position that has the potential to develop into a full time position. We would likely start off with an hourly rate for the first 90 days and then re-evaluate at that point. Essentially the first 90 days would be a trial period for both of us. Hey, you never know, you may not like working with me. Hard to imagine, of course, but it has happened before.
Initially, you will primarily be managing my schedule, appointments, meetings, and travel which means you are managing my life. You must have experience doing this kind of work. It is important and not easy so experience is a prerequisite. I need someone who knows how to execute the following activities not someone who expects me to teach them how. You will be:
- Communicating with my clients, business partners, network, and others on my team so your email etiquette must be outstanding and your written skills top notch. (You’ll even coordinate family plans with my mother – don’t worry, she’s the loveliest person in the world.)
- Organizing my appointments and events so you’ll have to get to know all the oddities of my scheduling preferences.
- Arranging my travel for speaking gigs and creating my itineraries so a knowledge of conference and meeting planner’s protocols is a must.
- Managing the marketing calendar so that we never overdo our communication with our subscribers but also never miss an opportunity.
- Planning the year’s event schedule so the ability to do long-term planning, management and coordination with all parties involved, should be easy for you.
- Documenting procedures and processes sound like a fun way to spend your day.
- Keeping on top of sending gifts and thank you notes gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.
- You are deeply passionate about making a powerfully positive difference in the world (because that feels good to you).
- You are hungry to learn the skills and strategies to create a business that makes great money and gives you freedom to travel and enjoy life.
- You are willing to challenge the status quo (that means you aren’t afraid to tell me what to do and when to do it) and do things differently than the norm (even if it means breaking the rules….gasp).
- You are completely open (and excited) to learn new skills, get into challenging conversations, take risks, be bold, and explore new territories.
- You can pull all the necessary and concrete details out of our fast moving, creative team and turn them into tangible steps and structure.
Additional Skills & Personality Traits
- Great technical skills.
- Great writing skills.
- Great conflict resolution skills.
- Great political savvy.
- Great energy and positivity.
- Great spelling (mine sucks)
- Most importantly, you have habits of commitment making and fulfilling.
And, Last But Not Least a Few “Not’s”
- You are not a nut job.
- You do not have lots of drama in your life. (Of course, we all face personal challenges from time-to-time, but you know how to handle it and it rarely effects your work.)
- You do not disappear without notice.
That should do it for now. Of course, there is always potential for advancement with me. If you are entrepreneurial, take initiative, can stand on your own two feet, opportunities abound.
To apply, please submit your resume to michael (at) michaelport.com. I won’t write back write away (I need an assistant to help me with that ) since I expect there will be many applicants, but I promise to review every application that comes in. I’m leaving what you put in your application to you. I’d like to see how you make a first impression. But, do include your requested hourly rate. Go for it!
AND A BIG THANK YOU!